Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Gay Marriage: Yay or Nay?

Gay Marriage: this is perhaps the most controversial topic of discussion in this day and age. I am writing this blog as a response to a statement made by San Francisco 49ers' CB Chris Culliver. A reporter asked Culliver if he would be open to having an openly gay male as a teammate. To this Culliver responded, "I don't do the gay guys man. I don't do that. No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do." In response to this, many commenters on various articles about this quote have labeled Culliver and all Gay Marriage opposers as "homophobic." I tend to have a problem with the term homophobic. It insinuates that people have an abnormal fear of allowing openly gay people to have the same marital rights as heterosexual people. I oppose Gay Marriage, but I do not fear this in any way. What I fear is something that every living person should fear; I fear my Lord and Creator. I do not mean fear as in I am afraid of God. I mean fear as in I am in awe of God. Honestly, that is what is wrong with the USA: there are not enough God-fearing people in this country any more. Most people are trying get God out of everything, and then when something bad happens, people feel obligated to blame that same God that they are trying to get out of everything for the bad thing which occurred. However, that is a completely different rant for another time. This blog is about my feelings about Gay Marriage and why I believe in my own opinions. As I stated earlier, I oppose Gay Marriage. I do so because it goes completely against the way that God designed marriage as stated in Genesis 2:24 (And that is why a MAN shall leave his FATHER and his MOTHER and be joined to HIS WIFE). To claim to be a Christian and believe anything otherwise shows complete ignorance for what is given to us multiple times throughout the Bible (some examples I will even include on this blog). The idea of marriage between one man and one woman does not just stop after Adam & Eve. Later in Genesis 18 and 19, God decides to destroy the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah because they have become unrighteous. Before doing so, however, God goes to Abraham and tells him that He is about to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah. Abraham remembers that his nephew Lot is currently living in Sodom. So, Abraham asks God why He would destroy the righteous along with the wicked. He then asks that if there are even 50 righteous people in all of Sodom and Gomorrah to not destroy the cities. God agrees. At this point, Abraham works his way down from 50 until he gets God to agree to spare Sodom and Gomorrah if there are 10 righteous people. Then there is a jump to the house of Lot where two angels appear to Lot to warn him of the impending destruction. After the two angels warned him, Genesis 19 says "all the men from every part of the city of Sodom--both young and old--surrounded the house. They called to Lot, 'Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.'" I'm fairly sure that most people know how this story ends: with the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. If you look back at God's promise to Abraham, you will see that God promised to spare the cities if there were 10 righteous people. Clearly there were not. I believe that the Bible uses that specific example of all the men--both young and old--asking to have sex with the two visitors of Lot as a way to show the wickedness of the people of Sodom and Gomorrah.
I have met Christians that like to say that they support Gay Marriage because Jesus never specifically said anything about Gay Marriage. I beg to differ slightly. While no, Jesus never was never recorded saying anything about Gay Marriage, He does talk about marriage a few times. Specifically, in Matthew 5:32 during the Sermon on the Mount while talking about divorce, Jesus states, "But I tell you that anyone who divorces HIS WIFE..." Honestly, I can stop right there to make my point. Jesus specifically said "his wife." Notice how it does not say his/her spouse. It specifically says "his wife." You can say it's coincidence all you want, but I personally do not believe in coincidences. I would also like to bring the attention of Christians who support Gay Marriage to John 1:1. It says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." Some of you are probably trying to figure out where I'm going with this. Well, I'll start by saying that the "Word" that this verse is referring to is the Bible. In addition to this, God is also part of the Trinity (God the Father, God the Son aka Jesus, and God the Holy Spirit). All these parts are the same. In other words, another way to read John 1:1 could be "In the beginning was the Bible, and the Bible was with Jesus, and the Bible was Jesus." I believe that based on what I have already said, that that is a fair assumption to make. Now by that interpretation that the Bible is Jesus, Jesus talks about Homosexuality quite a few times.
I hope you enjoyed this blog, and I will have a Super Bowl preview up hopefully by Saturday.
God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment